To be certified and maintain certification every year as a Virginia Master Naturalist, volunteers are required to complete 8 hours of continuing education. To assist volunteers needing to meet this requirement, the state program offers continuing education through the annual statewide conference and an online webinar series. Online resources of the Virginia State Master Naturalist web site can be accessed through this link: http://www.virginiamasternaturalist.org/continuing-education.html.
Other education opportunities are announced through our Chapter newsletter, e-mail broadcasts and at our general membership meetings. Also attending speaking events (e.g. at colleges and civic organizations) and and conservation related public agency meetings (local, state, federal) can also count toward continuing education hours, with the approval of the Chapter Advanced Training Committee Chairperson.
Many online resources from our State Agency Sponsors also offer education opportunities (peruse links below).
- Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Virginia Tech College of Natural Resources and Environment
- Virginia Tech Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Virginia Department of Forestry
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Virginia Museum of Natural History
Continuing education is a great way to keep abreast of the latest goings-on and to brush up on knowledge in your areas of special interest.